The JUST MOVE! series features various types of exercises and ways to JUST MOVE! in order to get and stay healthy. Any activity is better than no activity! Do something! Do anything, but JUST MOVE!
Here are some tips for exercise success:
Dress for success!
- Wear comfortable clothes and sneakers or flat shoes with laces.
- Wear comfortable, properly fitted footwear and comfortable, loose-fitting clothing appropriate for the weather and the activity.
Make the time!
- Start slowly. Gradually build up to at least 30 minutes of activity on most or all days of the week (or whatever your doctor recommends).
- Exercise at the same time of day so it becomes a regular part of your lifestyle. For example, you might walk every Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday from noon to 12:30 p.m.
- Find a convenient time and place to do activities. Try to make it a habit, but be flexible. If you miss an exercise opportunity, work activity into your day another way.
Keep reasonable expectations of yourself.
- If you've been sedentary for a long time, are overweight, have a high risk of coronary heart disease or some other chronic health problem, see your doctor for a medical evaluation before beginning a physical activity program.
- Look for chances to be more active during the day. Walk the mall before shopping, take the stairs instead of the escalator or take 10–15 minute breaks while watching TV or sitting for walking or some other activity.
- Don't get discouraged if you stop for a while. Get started again gradually and work up to your old pace.
- Don't exercise right after meals, when it's very hot or humid, or when you just don't feel up to it.
Make it fun!
- Choose activities that are fun, not exhausting. Add variety. Develop a repertoire of several activities that you can enjoy. That way, exercise will never seem boring or routine.
- Ask family and friends to join you — you'll be more likely to stick with it if you have company. Or join an exercise group, health club or the YMCA. Many churches and senior centers offer exercise programs too. (Remember to get your doctor's permission first.)
- Use variety to keep your interest up. Walk one day, swim the next, then go for a bike ride on the weekend.
- Use music to keep you entertained.
Track and celebrate your success!
- Note your activities on a calendar or in a logbook. Write down the distance or length of time of your activity and how you feel after each session.
- Keep a record of your activities. Reward yourself at special milestones. Nothing motivates like success!
- Visit StartWalkingNow.org to find all the resources you need to get moving and stay motivated.
Chair Yoga Series