Exit 122 and Route 17 Redesign Project
Due to construction at Exit 122 accessible from East Main Street/Crystal Run Road and Route 17, patients and visitors should expect delays in traveling to and from Orange Regional Medical Center and Orange Regional Medical Pavilion.
Beginning Wednesday, 3/19/2014, the traffic on East Main Street will be intermittent between one and two lanes, as required for daily routine construction and temporary lane closures.
The alternating one-way traffic in this area of East Main Street will utilize the following procedures for emergency vehicles:
The work planned for 2014 also includes:
- A flagman will be on each end of the lane closure.
- When flagmen, and all the workers at the site, see or hear an emergency vehicle approaching from either direction of East Main Street, all other traffic in both directions will be stopped and the emergency vehicle will be immediately directed through the construction area.
- Starting Thursday, March 27 - Shifting the Route 17 East-bound traffic to the West-bound lane (two-way traffic on both sides with barriers & glare screens between) to accomplish work and install a new I-84 bridge.
- Starting Tuesday, April 1 - Both directions of Route 17 traffic between just west of Exit 121 (Route I84), past Exit 122 to just east of the Wallkill River bridge, will be switched over to all travel on the existing & widened Rte 17 Westbound as Phase 2 of the project. The work to prepare for the traffic switch is scheduled to begin 9:00 AM on Tuesday, 4/1/14, with the actual switching of traffic during a night shift that same night between 12:00 Midnight and 5:00 AM Wednesday morning, 4/2/14. Traffic in both directions on Route 17 will be stopped briefly, for a short period of time, during the traffic switch. These stoppages will be performed and controlled by the NYS Police.
- Before winter, Route 17 traffic will be switched back to the East and West-bound lanes.
Beginning in April and lasting throughout the summer, Crystal Run Road will be narrowed to one lane in each direction, between the Orange Regional Medical Pavilion and the Holiday Inn, with a lane shift toward the Pavilion to allow for work on the Holiday Inn side of Crystal Run Road, then switching to a shift toward the Holiday Inn. Appropriate DOT construction signage will be provided, including electronic message boards informing motorists of potential delays and to consider alternate routes.
All road construction near the Hospital should tentatively be complete by October 16, 2015.
Overview of Redesign Project
The New York State Department of Transportation will be working over the next few years to redesign Exit 122 on Route 17. The approved design provides for the reconstruction of NY Route 17 at Exit 122 Interchange to improve safety and operation to upgrade the interchange to Interstate standards.
The proposed two year redesign project will eliminate the sharp curves on the ramps, the delays at the ramp intersections with Crystal Run Road and East Main Street, the steep grade on East Main Street and the closeness of the exit and entrance ramps to I-84 ramps, which was resulting in a high accident pattern. Overall, the redesign should reduce the number of accidents and back-ups on Route 17 as drivers get on and off the ramps at East Main Street and Crystal Run Road.
View a construction map of the new Interchange. For a detailed description of the project, visit https://www.dot.ny.gov/regional-offices/region8/projects/route17-exit122/repository/01_Summary_and_Contents.pdf