Orange Regional Medical Center
707 East Main Street
Middletown, NY 10940
Located on the fifth floor, Orange Regional's dedicated Pediatric Unit welcomes patients from infancy through age 17 taking a family-centered approach to your child’s healthcare needs. The Pediatric Unit is inviting, comfortable and secure and staffed by Certified Pediatric Nurses with more than 200 years of combined experience in delivering pediatric care. Our unit offers specialized pediatric equipment and a private procedure room, where certain procedures are performed, allowing for the child’s private room to remain a safe, pain free zone. We also provide access to Board-certified Pediatric Hospitalists for your child’s inpatient stay; available to children who may not have a pediatrician. Pediatric Hospitalists are physicians who specialize in the care of children, while they are hospitalized. Upon discharge, children will be treated by their primary care provider, a Pediatrician or another sub-specialist.
Orange Regional's Child Life Program seeks to ease fear and uncertainty by familiarizing young children, adolescents and their families with the hospital experience. The program is designed to help children through a wide variety of stressful experiences that can overpower their natural ability to cope and heal. Our Child-Life Specialist complements our team with expertise in helping children and their families effectively cope with their illness through play, preparation, education, distraction and self-expression activities. They provide emotional support and encouragement throughout your child’s hospitalization, while providing information and guidance to all family members. Out Pediatric Hospitalist specialize in care of pediatric patients and our Pediatric Hospitalist Services offer you and your child many benefits throughout their stay.
Featuring 12 private patient rooms with bathrooms and individual thermostats, we also offer free HDTVs, free in-room phone, free WiFi, and access to several of the portable gaming consoles available on the unit. Additionally, kids can take part in choosing their own meals from the children’s menu!
Our colorful, cheerful playroom provides a place for our pediatric patients to relax, enjoy games, activities and be themselves without disrupting others. While our focus for care is always on the patient, we offer amenities for parents such as meals and sleeper chairs. A parent's understanding of the illness their child is facing is important to the recovery process.Orange Regional provides diagnosis and treatment educational materials to all parents and guardians.
We encourage parents or guardians to remain with their child as much as possible throughout their stay with us. Visiting hours are unlimited for parents. The following information will be helpful to you during your child’s stay with us.
- We encourage you to discuss, with your child’s nurse, the care you would like provided to your child.
- For your child’s safety, a security bracelet will be fitted to your child’s wrist or ankle which will trip an alarm should the patient leave the unit. Please do not try and remove this bracelet during your child’s stay with us.
- Please inform the nursing staff when you arrive and how long you will be staying. We welcome any information you can provide regarding items (food, drink, diapers, etc.) you wish to give to your child. This will allow the nursing staff to ensure that the doctors' orders can be followed and that accurate records are maintained on your child's chart.
- Please do not enter any other patient's room. If you would like to walk with your child, please ask the nursing staff for permission.
- Some illnesses require isolation procedures to be implemented. You may be asked to wear protective garments based on your child’s condition and diagnosis. Staff may also be required to wear a gown, gloves, and/or face mask while treating your child to prevent the spread of diseases from one patient to another.
- Each child is weighed daily and vital signs are taken every 4 hours or sooner if needed. We encourage a parent’s participation in their child’s care and recovery and request that you please do not throw away soiled diapers. They will be weighed to determine the patient’s output and the results will be documented in your child’s medical records.
- A parent’s meal menu is available. A breakfast, lunch and dinner tray for one parent is provided by the hospital to make your stay with us more comfortable. Hostess service is also available for your convenience. If there is a need to stretch your legs and take a short walk, our Cafeteria is located on the ground floor, for your dining convenience. We also have a Café located in the main lobby of the hospital.
- Please wash your hands after contact with your child and before you leave your child's room.
- Please accompany your child to our conveniently located playroom at any time. We request that a parent remain with their child at all times in the playroom as long as the child is not contagious. We kindly request that children visiting with a patient refrain from using the playroom.
- A single chair-bed or cot is provided for one parent. Please do not move the chair-bed from its location in the room. It is situated to allow the staff easy access to your child for nursing care. Children are not permitted to sleep on the chair-beds or cots. However, you are more than welcome to sit with and hold your child on the chair-bed or cot as needed or desired while they are awake.
- We offer a refrigerator and microwave as well as a selection of pantry items for patients and their parents. Our staff is happy to assist, at any time, in any request for storing and retrieving cold items as well as heating up meals upon request.
- For breast feeding mothers, we have a dedicated refrigerator for storage of breast milk and breast pumps available if needed.
We are also proud to offer our patients access to Pediatric subspecialists who complete additional training in specialized fields of pediatrics. Our Board-certified specialists offer services in:
- Adolescent Psychiatry
- Gastroenterology & Nutrition
- Infectious Disease
View a full list of our Pediatric Sub-Specialists here
To find a physician with one of the above subspecialties, please click here.
Orange Regional offers Complementary Therapies as a part of your recovery. Complementary Therapies aim to treat the whole person, not just the symptoms of an illness. Orange Regional Medical Center offers Reiki Therapy as a natural approach to healing and wellness and our Pet Therapy Program helps make a positive impact on the health and wellbeing of our patients.
For more information on our pediatric services, please call our Physician Referral & Health Information Hotline at 1-888-321-ORMC (6762).
The Pediatric Unit was made possible through the generosity of the Orange Regional Medical Center Auxiliary.
If you are interested in giving to our Child Life Program Wish List, please click here for a list of new items you can donate to the pediatric patients at Orange Regional Medical Center.